Monday 11 March 2013

For all those Kids who are writing their SLC Examinations

SLC is an iron gate for many. If not in reality, it is an iron gate in perception, in People's mind and in our daily Talks. I wish to write this small Post on SLC to counsel our young kids, young brothers and sisters who are attending SLC 2069. I hope, if they get time to read this post, will get some solace by knowing that SLC is just another examination in Nepal and there is nothing to worry and fear!

First of all, SLC is School Leaving Certificate. It is an examination conducted by Government of Nepal to certify that you have successfully completed 10 years of schooling education in Nepal. Therefore, SLC Examination is the end of your ten years schooling and after passing SLC, you can think of going to University to join Intermediate Course or continue in Higher Secondary Schools where Class XI and XII can be studied.

Hence, SLC Examination is very important part in your life as after passing SLC, you are allowed to join University - you can think of getting higher education and studies. In Nepal, most of the jobs are open for only those people who have minimum education of passing SLC. From that perspective, SLC is important milestone in anyone's life.

However, the psyche and fear created around SLC Examination will add extra pressure on student's mind. In villages and in small towns, students are told to work hard, study all the time as the SLC is going to be very tough. SLC indeed is a difficult examination as it tries to gauge or ten years' of your education and development. Despite that, it is just an another examination. I feel students can do better if less amount of pressure and fear is created in his mind. 

I remember the days I wrote SLC almost 14 years ago. I was told and reminded all the times that it is the toughest examination and how to behave and sit in Examination Hall. I was told my slight turn of eyes on Left or Right can be construed as cheating by the invigilator and I can be thrown out from the Examination Hall. In the morning before I left for the First Examination, my brother sat with me and gave that final ten minutes lecture. I said that I will do only those things that I have been advised to do and will not indulge in those activities that are going to put me in danger. In the end, I felt it was just another Examination with undue and uncalled hype created.

These days, When I read the Papers, I see news headlines, "All Preparations are underway or over", "Question Papers have been sent to all the Districts" etc. These news create unnecessary pressure and tension on the mind of Parents and their Children. It is time that we should treat SLC Examinations just an another examination in Life.

So, all the Kids, Bros and Sisters out there, please treat SLC Examination 2069 as important part of your life but let it be simple and without any hype. Do not be under any kind of stress. Let it go easy and all the best to you for SLC Examination, 2069 in Nepal!
All the best!

No comments: