Sunday 23 June 2013

Remembering my First Paris Trip - Good Bye Europe

(Note: This post was written much before May 1, 2013 thinking that just before I take off from France, I shall post it. However, I do not know why I could not/did not post it for a long time. 
JFYI that I have returned to Nepal by finishing my almost 5 months long work in France and now, will be travelling around India and Nepal as a freelance consultant on law, politics and human right issues. Today, I am posting my good bye post written on the eve of my departure from France to Nepal.)

Within a week, I am saying Good bye to Europe. The good bye this time will be of a different type as I have decided to move on. What does that mean? That means I will have to wait for a long time to be in Europe again. The things have changed in the office and because of the global economic scenario and restructuring in the work force in my NGO, the number of training in the Europe have come down.

Despite these all changes, I have been promised a training in Amsterdam, The Netherlands for a period of 3-15 days sometimes around 2013 October-December. That means I have to wait for a long time before I can think of travelling. If things do not go well, I expect I will be in the UK from February-March, 2014 as a part of "moving on". However, that will be my own decision!

Coming back to saying Goodbye to Paris, I remember my first trip to this lovely City way back in 2010 April. That is three years ago. We were arranged for a stay in a Quite peaceful but ordinary sub-urban Hotel called "Balladins Gennevilliers". The Hotel was really far from the main town Paris and we were advised to buy ticket of Three Zones. I guess we paid almost Euro 8.50 per person per day during those days.

We were people from different nationalities and Paris was new to everyone. In fact, Europe was new to everyone. We took maps, internet print outs and where ever we could see Indians and Asians (Chinese) faces used to ask for Roads. The problem was that localities may not speak English and the easiest thing to deal was with Indians - spoke English, friendly and helpful.

Those were the days and Today it is! After that first trip, I have made many longer trips to this city. This time, I stayed here almost for 5 months. It reminds me little bit like Delhi - Little dirty, crowded, and not so safe as compared other European Cities - my perception but of course, many many times better than Delhi in terms of security. The metros are old and crowded here but always on time. The Ticketing system is old one and irritating. However, the city has never lost the charm. I have visited the same places again and again and I still find them so new and charming each time I visit them.

I still remember how we traveled from "Balladins Gennevilliers" on that first day in Train and changing Trains and Metros here and there and here I am today! Good bye Paris. I shall miss almost everything about Paris, a very good life here and the signature Music in Every Metro Tram played by Street Musicians expecting few Cents, if not Euro.

I will leave Paris humming this music and please listen to this lovely French Music. The Song is called "Les Champs Elysees" recorded in 1979 and Singer is Joe Dassin. I understand only the word "Sanjalije" or something like that.

Good Bye!

No comments: